friedrichstein palace

With its bright yellow walls, Friedrichstein Palace is a dominant eyecatcher within the Bad Wildungen cityscape. First built as a fortified Gothic-era castle in the 12th century, the medieval structure was converted into an imposing Baroque palace by Count Josias II von Waldeck (1636–1669) around the middle of the 17th century. After his death it fell to his nephew, Friedrich Anton Ulrich (1676–1728), to carry through the remaining alterations and to give his name to »Friedrichstein«, as it has been known ever since.

Due to the ruling family’s relocation to the newly built residential palace in Bad Arolsen at the beginning of the 18th century, a large part of the furnishings has been lost over the years. However, the magnifi cent stucco work created by Andreas Gallasini and the ceiling frescoes by Carlo Caselli still grace the interior. After WWI, the palace became the property of the then-independent Free State of Waldeck, and during WWII it was converted into a NSDAP training facility. Since the 1980s, Friedrichstein Palace has been housing the Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel’s collections of Military History and History of Hunting.